FairTax4CA Database - Welcome!
Welcome to the Database!
Silent Auction Pro
(c)2008-2010: Silent Auction Pro
Welcome to the FairTax4CA.org database! I wanted to make sure you know that this is a work in progress and I'll be adding more
features over the coming weeks. I think everything works, but I'm sure there are a few bugs. If you find one, please let me know
by emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The system is intended to be a shared database system that we all use. Here are the things you can currently do in the system:
Please don't download data from the system and keep your own copy! It's important that we all are able to collectively draw upon the data.
For example, if you talk to someone and they say they are willing to contribute financially, enter that as an attribute and when we are
sending emails asking for contributions, we can target people who said they are willing to contribute.
- Search for people using a variety of criteria including:
With optional individual attributes such as "Willing To" "Attend a Rally"
- Last Name
- Add People to the database
- Edit the contact information for a person including adding a variety of attributes
- Enter notes about a person
- Set a "Tickle Reminder" - which shows on your home page and is emailed to you on the date you specify
If you haven't signed the AFFT Limited License Agreement / NDA
and returned it back to Aaron Schutte, please do so as once this is done and verified you will be able to see all the contacts referred by the AFFT. You may
either scan it and email it back to him, or FAX it back to him at 713-963-8403. Please include a note to have him notify me that he has received the agreement.
If you are unwilling to sign the agreement, that's fine, feel free to enter your contacts in the system. You just won't be able to see the AFFT supplied
contacts. Please do search the database first before entering contacts to make sure they are not already in the system. If they were referred by the AFFT
and you haven't signed the agreement, search any way, if they don't show up go ahead and enter them. Better to have too much / duplicate info in the system
than not having it in there.
Talk to me if you have questions...
My hope is that by using this system we can become much more efficient and effective in promoting the Fair Tax. If you have suggestions, please feel
free to let me know.
FairTax4CA Database - Overview
This database was developed in an effort to promote the passage of HR 25 / S13 - The Fair Tax bill.
FairTax4CA Database - Best Practices
This section of the help is intended to offer quick guidelines and techniques as Best Practices for entering data into the
system and using the multitude of features the system offers. We recommend that all Group members
read through this section ideally before starting to enter Contacts or use other features of the system.
These Best Practices are broken into the different sections for easy
Getting started in the system is really as simple as creating your own individual account, and then clicking on the "request access to the
Fair Tax Database" link. An email will be sent to the administrator who will grant or deny your request. Once your request has been granted
you will receive an email telling you that you now have access.
Using The System:
- Use the Database, don't download the data and keep your own spreadsheet / database. Please don't make your own copy of the data. You can update the records in
the database by clicking on the person's name and editing there. Add attributes, take notes, put in reminders, etc. This is meant to be a shared database, it would defeat the purpose to make your own copy /
- When entering any data in the system, use proper capitalization. Don't use ALL CAPS AS THIS MAKES TEXT HARDER TO READ and is considered YELLING in written text.
- Check your spelling. If you don't do it the first time while you are entering the data, you will have to do it later or look
unprofessional if there are misspellings in your Contacts. Browsers like FireFox, Safari and Google's Chrome have built in
spell check for description fields. For some reason IE hasn't provided this feature yet. You may want to download and use an alternate browser.
- If you don't know how to do something in the system, it's probably covered in the online help. Take the time to at least read through
the online help outline to familiarize yourself with the various features and sections. Don't read the help cover-to-cover, you'll probably fall asleep. The system is
very easy to use and the help often goes into detail / step-by-step instructions that are helpful if you can't figure something out. The main heading sections of the help are more
general so would be good candidates to read if you wanted to read further than the outline.
- If you are currently using a spreadsheet to track contacts, we can import your data into the system so. Please email the administrator
if you would like to have your data imported.
- Stop using your spreadsheet! If we upload your data, stop using the spreadsheet, use the database instead.
Fair Tax Database - Contact Attribute Categories
Contact Attribute Categories
- Use proper capitalization!
- Enter as much information as you can. The more complete the database, the better it will work for us!
- If you are adding contact attribute categories and labels, make sure you read the online help on that section.
Contact Attributes allow you to ultimately search and filter contacts by various individual attributes. Attribute categories help organize the
individual attribute labels. Examples of category attributes would include things like:
The FairTax4CA.org database allows District Director and higher level members to add new Attribute Categories and individual attributes (or labels).
Important: Please be thoughtful when creating new categories and labels and this can easily get out of hand.
FairTax4CA Database - Add / Edit Contact
Add / Edit Contact
Insert text here...
FairTax 4 CA - Help Template Help Page
Entering Post Card Data
Please use the following instructions when entering contact data from the Fair Tax 4 CA post cards. Most of this should
be pretty intuitive, but there are a couple steps that are not obvious but will significantly help us when searching later
in the database.
Entering Post Card Data:
Silent Auction Software - Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
- Log in to the www.fairtax4ca.org website.
- Click on the
- Search the database first to see if the person is already in the system. This is
very important so we don't get duplicates entered into the system. Searching by Last Name should be sufficient.
- If you find the person already in the database, click on their last name to edit their contact information.
- If the person IS NOT in the database already, click on the add a new contact link to add
the person as a new contact.
- Enter or update their name, address, city, state, zipcode, email and phone number fields.
- If you know their Congressional District, enter it. If you don't you should be able to search for it by
clicking on the search icon next to the Congressional District Number text box. This will open up a new tab with the search results. You will have
to click back on the FairTax4CA tab to get back to the database. I suggest you close the tab that the system opens with the Congressional District Info so
you don't have a bunch of confusing tabs open.
- In the Contact Attributes area, click on the "Select a Category" list and select "Other"
- In the "Select a Label" list, select "Postcard Sent"
- Click on the
button to attach the attribute.
- Attach all the other "Willing To" attributes that the person checked.
- Attach an Affiliation attribute if one is there that matches for this person. If one is not there and you can't add it, please
contact your District Director to have them add the new attribute.
- If there are follow up actions for this contact, enter a Tickle Reminder date and message for whatever needs to be done.
- If there is follow up actions - Update the Contact Owner to be the person who should be following up.
- Click on the
or button at the bottom
of the page to save the contact information
Following are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the system.
Fair Tax Database - Glossary
Glossary Item - Definition...
Fair Tax Database - Known Issues
The following are Known Issues with the current release of this Fair Tax Database.
- The help is incomplete...: The help section is not currently very helpful...
- IE Sucks: Internet Exploder doesn't correctly handle the automatic insert of the date / time and user name
field in the notes text area when editing or adding a contact. FireFox does and includes a spell checker. I recommend using FireFox.